Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mindless consumption of mobile phones

My current mobile phone is only the fourth phone I have owned in the last 15 years. And this phone still does its job very well. I don't see why I should change my phone. But my 12 year old does not share the view. He already owns his fourth mobile phone and looking forward to the fifth one next month. He is already cribbing that his is the most old-fashioned phone in his group of friends. Everytime a new mobile is launched and backed by sexy advertising, he and millions others like him, want to throw their otherwise perfect phones and buy a new one. Just to stay with the fashion! It's obvious that the old phones are dumped in poor countries or simply trashed adding to landfils.
I don't see any attempt by mobile phone manufacturers (and why should they?) or telecommunication service providers to promote a responsible consumption of mobile phones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo true!( your son)